Sunday, February 13, 2011

Is There A Lawyer In The House?

The buzz has been building up for weeks.  The big event is almost here.  Today is the day before the much anticipated men-versus-machine Jeopardy! episodes.  Will IBM's feisty upstart Watson computer defeat two legendary Jeopardy! juggernauts, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter?  Or will Brad handle Watson as easily as he dispatched Ken in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions?  Or will Ken reclaim his title as the show's biggest money winner?  In just three days, the world will finally know.  Actually, a few of us already know, because we were there when it happened.  But we agreed not to talk about it.

I've spent countless hours reading and watching a wide range of traditional media and internet coverage of this event.  Some of it is very insightful and informative, especially the many IBM videos at http://www-03.ibm.com/innovation/us/watson/ and the links Watson has posted on his Facebook and Twitter pages.  (Ever since I competed against Watson, I've mostly thought of the big guy as "him" rather than "it.")  I even signed up for a Twitter account, just so I can keep up with what the three contestants are saying.  On the other hand, I have encountered hundreds of articles and internet posts from opinionated people who really don't know what they're talking about.  I guess that's to be expected, since most people aren't experts in either artificial intelligence or Jeopardy!, let alone both.

My own experiences with Ken, Brad, IBM, and Jeopardy! give me a unique perspective that I think is worth sharing.  That's where this blog comes in.  Over the next several days, I plan to post some comments and observations about watching Watson play last summer, meeting the development team, suggesting new and improved strategies, playing against Watson, and watching Brad and Ken play against Watson.  Don't expect to read any dirt or gossip.  I have nothing but respect and admiration for everyone involved, and I am grateful for the opportunity I was given to contribute to this project.

There's just one little complication.  I had to sign three different non-disclosure agreements that limit what I am allowed to say.  I certainly have no problem with that.  My long history as both an IBM employee and a game show contestant has proven that I'm good at keeping secrets.  Fortunately, there's very little that remains confidential.  In its publicity campaign, IBM has been systematically revealing most of the inside information that I've been protecting.  As far as I know, the only thing left that I can't talk about is the actual match with Rutter, Watson, and Jennings, until the third episode airs on Wednesday.  I am not a lawyer, but that is my interpretation of the document below.

With that introduction, I conclude my initial blog entry.  I hope to enhance your enjoyment of the Jeopardy! IBM Challenge.  I welcome your comments and questions.

The IBM Non-Disclosure Agreement

No comments:

Post a Comment